Rural Community Energy Fund

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Who can apply?

The Fund is aimed at community groups. Administrative arrangements will only be made with such groups, even if they are supported by a third party. We recommended that enquiries and applications to the Fund should come from a community group direct. Applications for joint ventures may be accepted and would be considered on a case-by-case basis, however a community organisation would have to be the key participant and own at least 50% of the project.

Q: Can I apply to fund an energy project for a single building?

Single community buildings would be eligible if they meet certain conditions. The project should enable an amount of energy to be exported back to the grid which is equivalent to that used by the single building. The income from this exported energy must then be used for community benefit. Single buildings that generate their own energy and export excess to other buildings would also be eligible. Community buildings that are generating energy solely for self-consumption without supply to the grid or other buildings would not be eligible.

Q: Are town councils eligible? And what about community amateur sports clubs?

Town councils are eligible provided they are in a rural area. Community amateur sports clubs are also eligible to apply.

Q: How do I know for sure whether the location of my project qualifies as rural.

Please consult the rural map and user guide or get in touch with us for advice.

Please ask!

The list of questions and answers above are popular examples of the many queries we have received. Every project is different, and we are here to help you. So, if you’re unsure, please contact

Sign up to our newsletter to receive updates